Thursday, March 15, 2007

A few thoughts from Nigel

It's been a good few days.

Last week I finally left my twenties as I turned 31 (I had been arguing that each decade ends with the multiple of ten...). It was a really great day, despite being at work for much of it. Partly I was stoked I managed to find a place to deliver some pavlova to my colleagues for the customary morning tea shout, introducing it by email as 'good kiwi kai' - I enjoyed the howls of protest from the Australians on staff about stealing 'their' national dish.... But mostly it actually felt like a notable event because my two daughters were so excited about having a birthday to celebrate and their enthusiasm was infectious. Joanna had spent some time with them making cards and wrapping little presents so we played pass the parcel, opened the presents, ate some cake and generally had a birthday party. It was nice to go out after they went to bed to do a little music shopping - its been a long long while since I listened properly to anything new.

All good.

I reached something of a milestone today as well. My first conversation that went for more than a few phrases in Tagalog! What a great feeling that I could actually handle a basic, normal conversation for a number of minutes with a friendly taxi driver who was very patient with my mangled attempts to use his language.

And we have gotten even closer to arrival day. Joanna's suitcase lies ominously ready in the bedroom, reminding me that I am flying solo next week... now it is my turn to be grateful for Jenalyn, our helper, who will be doing a lot of the kid-minding while I am at work.

Being here I get reminded so often about how interconnected the world is. At work this week, the net has washed my way with uncanny timing. First I became aware of the Loose Change doco on 9/11, at the same time as a strangely comprehensive confession from the main 9/11 bomber was publicised. Secondly, and on a less political angle, this week has seen me trying to convey to my students the way that for advanced mathematicians, maths can be an elegant, beautiful thing. Unbeknownst to me until a random group email, that very day was International Pi Day, celebrated by those who love Pi around the world. And people say there's nothing to coincidences...

Well, there's another little snapshot of our life. We put it out there to stay connected with you.

Those of you in NZ - see you soon :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home