Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Zoe turns 3!

She's a big girl now. (And hence asked for an "adult plate" at dinner the other day!)
We celebrated her birthday a week early, to coincide with the visit from Nan & Grandad.



We were rostered to host the MADS North playgroup that day, and so we invited everyone to dress up for our 'pyjama party'. It was utter chaos, as expected, with around 25 children (from 4 months up to 9 years) and then their associated adults.



We did manage to play some games for those children able & willing. We had a treasure hunt for glow-in-the-dark stars (which they could then keep), a game of musical pillows, and the ol' favourite, "pass the parcel". Even Granddad won a prize in that one!


My two superwomen cooked up a storm, and we were eating leftovers for a week.


For the 'goodie bags', I dusted off my sewing skills, and made up 22 drawstring bags for the children as 'going-to-sleep bags'. They had a box of milk, some homemade star cookies (thanks, Emily), a good-night prayer and a night-light inside, to get them started. We also printed off some instructions about what kind of things one can keep in a 'going-to-sleep bag' beside one's bed.
After all the time, planning & work, (...and let's just say it was not a small effort), the party felt like a huge success... Or was it?

Zoe was quite overwhelmed at the beginning, and was very clingy to her father. She got into the games, though, and after a bit of food, she was well & truly warmed up. The next morning over breakfast, we were talking with Zoe about her party, and we asked her whether she enjoyed it. She said 'Becca was there' (Becca is the big sister of one of her pre-school buddies). I said 'yes she was!'. She was very pleased about this. Then she asked me "Were you there, mummy?"
Well, despite the urge to wring the child's neck and say "Yes, of course I was, and I worked for two weeks solid to make it happen"...



...I just smiled and said "Yes, I was there, too, Zoe! Remember, I helped do the games?" "Oh!" she said. "And I got two prizes in Pass-the-Parcel!"

Perhaps next time I won't bother inviting any friends... I might just make a huge Pass-the-Parcel, and let Emily and Zoe pass it back and forth between themselves. She'd be in heaven.









1 Comments:

At 1:41 AM, Blogger Lion's, Kiwi's and Kanga's said...

Wow, big 3 year old, happy birthday Zoe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home